Recently, BMW presented the updated 2021 BMW M5 and M5 Competition Sedans. The four-door M sedans, which offer supercar performance with everyday usability for up to five passengers, see the following notable changes:
- New front and rear styling.
- New, larger 12.3-inch touch screen central information display.
- New wireless Android Auto compatibility in addition to Apple CarPlay.
- New cloud-based BMW Maps navigation.
- New TRACK mode for M5 Competition.
- New bicolor Full Merino Leather in Black and Midrand Beige with Alcantara inserts (for M5 Competition).
- New shock absorbers and fully recalibrated damper control system for M5 Competition.
- New high-gloss black or red finish for standard compound brake calipers.
- New Brands Hatch Grey and Motegi Red Metallic paint colors.
- New BMW Individual paint colors Tanzanite Blue II metallic, Aventurine Red II metallic and the matte finish Frozen Bluestone metallic.
- MSRP pricing is $103,500 for the M5 Sedan and $111,100 for the M5 Competition Sedan. Pricing does not include $995 Destination.
M V8 Power and Performance
The 2021 BMW M5 is powered by the S63 4.4-liter TwinPower turbocharged V8 engine producing 600 hp @ 6,000 rpm and 553 ft-lbs. of torque from 1,800 – 5,690 rpm. The M5 Sedan accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 3.2 seconds and reaches an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph (190 mph when equipped with the optional M Driver’s Package).
The M5 Competition Sedan’s engine tuning increases power to 617 hp @ 6,000 rpm and offers a 170 rpm-wider torque band, 553 ft-lbs. @ 1,800 – 5,860 rpm. The Competition model accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 3.1 seconds and reaches an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph (190 mph when equipped with the optional M Driver’s Package).
The engine features two-turbochargers, cross-bank exhaust manifolds, direct injection and upgraded cooling and oil supply. The cross-bank exhaust manifolds improve turbocharger and throttle response by reducing the distance the exhaust gases need to flow to reach the turbochargers. Water-to-air intercooling helps reduce the temperature of the incoming air for improved power.
The advanced cooling system is composed of two separate water circuits, one for the intercoolers and one for the engine and turbochargers. An electric cooling pump ensures that the turbochargers receive sufficient coolant flow even after the engine has been turned off. An additional engine oil cooler and transmission oil cooler ensure the M5 can stand up to the higher thermal demands of track driving. The oil supply system features a secondary front chamber in the oil pan which is accessed by a map-controlled oil suction pump to insure effective oil supply during extreme lateral and longitudinal forces.
M xDrive and Sport Steptronic transmission
The rear-biased M xDrive all-wheel drive system distributes the available 553 ft-lbs. of torque between front and rear axles via an electronically-controlled multi-plate clutch while the Active M Differential further splits torque between left and right rear wheels.
The driver can select from three xDrive modes including 4WD, 4WD Sport and 2WD. The Dynamic Stability Control system can be adjusted between three settings to further enhance driver control – DSC ON, MDM (M Dynamic Mode) and DSC OFF.
The eight-speed M Steptronic transmission provides extraordinarily short shift times and fast, precise responses to every input of the accelerator. The Drivelogic switch on the gear selector lever allows three modes - efficient, sport or track with extremely rapid gearshifts. A transmission oil cooler ensures the transmission operates within its best temperature range even when the car is put through its paces on the track.
Suspension and Steering
The M5 features a double-wishbone front and five-link rear suspension design to deliver neutral steering behavior and precise chassis responses. The standard Dynamic Damper Control and M Servotronic steering offer a choice of electronic drive modes – COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT+. Each setting provides firmer suspension settings and increased steering force to make the M5 Sedan equally capable on city streets, winding roads and the most demanding race tracks.
The 2021 BMW M5 Competition receives new shocks and a recalibrated damper control system to enhance ride comfort during high-speed highway driving as well as over bumps.
Compared to the M5, the Competition model also sits 0.2-inches lower and features increased front negative camber, a firmer rear anti-roll bar, 10% firmer front and rear springs and toe-link ball joint mounts (vs. rubber bushings in the M5 Sedan).
Wheels, Tires and Brakes
The M5 Sedan is equipped with standard 19 x 9.5-inch front and 19 x 10.5-inch rear M alloy bicolor wheels with 275/40R19 front and 285/40R19 rear performance non-run-flat tires. The M5 Competition is equipped with 20 x 9.5-inch front and 20 x 10.5-inch rear forged M alloy wheels with 275/35R20 and 285/35R20 rear performance non-run-flat tires.
The M5 Sedan is equipped with standard M Compound brakes with vented disks and blue six-piston front calipers. High gloss black or red calipers are available as no-cost options.
The optional M Carbon Ceramic brakes with gold-finished calipers are 50 lbs lighter, not only reducing unsprung weight but also providing greater thermal stability and fade resistance under the most extreme braking conditions.
The new, larger BMW kidney grille and redesigned front and rear bumpers highlight the more aggressive and functional appearance of the 2021 M5 Sedan. The kidney grille now extends further down into the front bumper and features a one-piece chrome surround element. The front bumper shows aggressive lines with larger air intakes on either side. The large hexagonal center intake area provides space for the oil cooler and radar sensor.
New L-shaped light tubes within the slimmer, redesigned LED headlights give a more focused, modern appearance to the M5. In the rear, the signature M-specific quad exhaust pipes are framed by the more muscular, restyled rear bumper and diffuser. New rear L-shaped taillights feature a three-dimensional lens design.
The M5 Competition comes with a black finish for the BMW kidney grille surround, the front fender side-gill mesh inserts, the exterior mirror caps, the rear trunk spoiler, name badges and rear bumper inserts. The tips of the Competition model’s M Sport exhaust system are finished in Black Chrome.
The interior of the 2021 M5 Sedan is highlighted by the standard Live Cockpit Professional with iDrive 7, a 12.3” digital instrument display and a 12.3” digital central touchscreen central information display (up from previous 10.25”). Standard navigation, Apple CarPlay Compatibility and Android Auto Compatibility are included.
This benefits already enjoyed by Apple iPhone owners are now available to Android users, making it easier to access a large number of digital services from the car in the same way as on their smartphone. These include Google Assistant, Google Maps, music streaming services like Spotify and Amazon Music and the WhatsApp messaging service.
M Mode button
Accessing the various M mode settings is now easier on the 2021 M5, courtesy of the new M8. A single M mode button replaces the previous individual buttons for the engine, chassis, suspension, steering and xDrive system.
Default Road mode – all standard and optional driver assist systems are fully operational. Full information displays in the digital instrument display and Head-Up display.
Sport mode – Allows the driver to adjust or turn off various assist systems. The M View is activated for both the instrument cluster and Head-Up display. A tachometer, digital speed, selected gear and shift lights are displayed in the center with coolant temperature, tire pressure and longitudinal and lateral forces available to the left and right.
Track mode – available on M5 Competition model and accessed by pressing and holding down the M Mode button. Designed for use on closed tracks, confirmation of this mode is required via the iDrive controller. Driver assistance system intervention is turned off. The audio system and center control display are turned off so the driver may concentrate on the road ahead with important information provided via the Head-Up and the digital instrument displays.
Advanced Driver Assistance Systems and new BMW Maps
The 2021 BMW M5 Sedan comes equipped with standard Assist features designed to deliver peace of mind and improved driving comfort. Included systems are Lane Departure Warning with steering correction (to keep you in the lane), frontal collision and pedestrian warning with braking function (which allows for reaction to vehicles, stationary objects, cyclists and pedestrians), blind spot detection, rear cross traffic alert (which warns of possible crossing traffic when backing up), rear collision preparation, automatic high beams and speed limit information.
Optional on the M5 is the Driving Assistance Professional Package which adds Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go, Extended Traffic Jam Assist for limited access highways – a Level 2 autonomous assist system which helps to reduce fatigue in stop and go freeway traffic by allowing for extended hands free vehicle operation – Lane Keeping Assistant with side collision avoidance, Evasion Aid, Front Cross-Traffic Alert and Emergency Stop Assistant – which can help guide your BMW to the shoulder and bring it to a halt in a medical emergency situation.
The navigation has also been improved with a new digital cloud-based feature called BMW Maps. The benefits are faster route calculations and dynamic recalculation based on precise real-time traffic data. The route is worked out using an anticipatory approach, meaning upcoming traffic along the entire route is factored into the calculation of the expected arrival time. Complete traffic data is now available for more minor roads, too. Hazard warnings transmitted online from the BMW fleet now reach the car even faster thanks to connected navigation. These improvements help to produce a very accurate estimate of arrival time and improved route guidance. The destination input function has also been improved and now lets the driver enter any word. Alternatively, the destination can be entered at any time simply by voice control. Plus, points of interest (POIs) along the route are described in greater detail, with reviews, opening times and photos.
BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant
The new 2021 M5 Sedan also offers the latest version of BMW’s Intelligent Personal Assistant to help interact with your car in a more natural way. Activated by a spoken prompt, such as “Hey BMW” or at the touch of a button, this digital companion learns the way you communicate to provide better and more accurate responses. Naturally spoken instructions can now also be used to open and close the car’s windows (partially or fully) or adjust the air conditioning. In addition, the driver can set rules by which the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant learns routines that increase convenience in specific situations. For instance, the driver’s window could be opened automatically when the vehicle reaches a chosen location via GPS coordinates, such as the entrance to a garage.
The 2021 M5 and M5 Competition Sedans offer a choice of eight standard and four optional paint finishes.
- Alpine White
- Black Sapphire Metallic
- Brands Hatch Grey Metallic (new)
- Donnington Grey Metallic
- Snapper Rocks Blue Metallic
- Marina Bay Blue Metallic
- Bluestone Metallic
- Motegi Red Metallic (new)
- Tanzanite Blue II Metallic (new)
- Alvite Grey Metallic
- Individual Aventurin Red Metallic (new)
- Frozen Bluestone Metallic (new)
Interior Upholstery and Trim
Standard on the M5 and M5 Competition Sedans is Extended Merino Leather, available in one of three colors.
- Aragon Brown
Full Merino Leather in the below colors is available as an optional upgrade.
- Aragon Brown
- Black with Midrand Beige Alcantara Cloth (new, for M5 Competition)
Optional Individual Full Merino Leather can be ordered in the following colors.
- Smoke White / Black
Aluminum Carbon Structure interior trim is standard while Aluminum Dark Structure trim and Fineline Ridge Wood trim are no cost alternatives. Individual Piano Black and Plum Brown Wood trims are available as optional trim choices.
A SensaTec dashboard and anthracite Alcantara headliner are standard.
The new 2021 BMW M5 Sedan includes a very comprehensive list of standard equipment.
- 19-inch M Double-spoke Style 705M bicolor wheels w/performance non run-flat tires.
- 8-speed Sport Steptronic transmission
- Dynamic Damper Control
- Shadowline exterior trim
- Rear spoiler
- Remote engine start
- Comfort Access keyless entry
- Park distance control
- Rear view camera
- Alarm system
- Ambient lighting
- Power, heated multi-function front seats with lumbar support
- 40-/20/40 folding rear seat
- Heated steering wheel
- Sensatec dashboard
- Aluminum Carbon Structure trim
- Anthracite headliner
- 4-zone climate control
- Auto-dimming rear-view and driver-side mirrors
- Universal garage door opener
- Power tailgate
- Mobility kit
- Adaptive full LED lights with automatic high beams
- Live Cockpit Professional with iDrive 7, Navigation and two digital 12.3-inch displays
- Head-Up display
- SiriusXM with 1 year All Access subscription
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility
- Harman Kardon surround sound audio
- Wireless charging for compatible mobile devices
- WiFi hotspot with 3-month or 3gb trial
- Enhanced USB and Bluetooth
- Connected Package Pro
- Active Protection
- Active Driving Assistant
Packages and Optional Equipment
- 617 hp engine tuning
- M Sport exhaust system
- Track mode
- Model-specific sport suspension
- Firmer engine mounts
- 20-inch M Y-spoke forged Style 789M bicolor wheels w/performance non run-flat tires
- or 20-inch M Double-spoke Style 810M bicolor wheels w/performance non run-flat tires.
- or 20-inch m Double-spoke Style 706M black wheels w/performance non run-flat tires.
- Individual Shadowline lights
- M seat belts
- Extended Shadowline trim for exhaust tips and side mirrors.
_Driving Assistance Professional Package
- Extended traffic jam assistant for limited access highways
- Active cruise control with stop & go
- Active lane keeping assistant with side collision avoidance
- Evasion aid
- Front cross-traffic alert
- Soft-close automatic doors
- Power rear sunshade and rear side window shades
- Front ventilated and massaging seats
- Front and rear heated seats
- Parking Assistant Plus
- Drive Recorder
- Active park distance control
- Surround View cameras with 3D remote view
_Individual options include:
- 20-inch M Double-spoke Style 810M bicolor wheels w/performance non run-flat tires.
- 20-inch M Double-spoke Style 706M black wheels w/performance non run-flat tires.
- M Carbon Ceramic brakes
- M compound brakes with red calipers
- or M compound brakes with black calipers
- Fineline ridge wood trim
- or Aluminum dark carbon structure trim
- or Individual piano black trim
- or Individual plum brown trim
- Bowers & Wilkins diamond surround sound audio
- M Driver’s Package (increased top speed limiter and voucher for M driver training).
For more information, please visit www.bmwusa.com.